Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
The European political elite have failed to persuade most voters IMO that the EU - which is a federal state - is necessary, even preferable. Along came the recession plus further weakening public belief in politicians.
David,

Appreciate your insights and point that 'the brussels political elite' have failed to convince many that the EU as structured or as proposed can/will provide the highest and most authoritative good for the polis. Here across the pond we also have questions regarding 'the washington political elite' and their (apparent lack) of ability to concentrate on providing the highest and most authoritative good for the polis.

Ran a quick google search and found that France, Ireland, and the Netherlands all have had significant questions regarding the EU Constitution. As you have noted previously, Nigel Farage seems to be one of the stronger/more effective communicators on this topic of late. I am not sure about Taoiseach Kenney's latest. Nonetheless it's reassuring to see that civil discourse and the democratic process (as flawed and messy as it is) are the preferred method to examine and address concerns.

Meanwhile, back at the armchair, I have pulled out my quadrangle graph paper & pen and started drafting up likely trading & investing scenarios involving Brixit and the latest US debt ceiling debacle...

Although you are likely more familiar with the topics at hand than am I, here are a few of this evening's search links that I found to be of interest: