Thread: Russian Bronze Statue in Estonia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

According to multiple reports, the Estonian government will spend up to $125,000 for every 24-hour period in order to maintain order surrounding the bronze soldier.

Following reports of telephonic messaging offering Estonia’s Russian youth $6.50 an hour to guard against the monument’s removal, police officers from all across the country have been called back from leave and ordered to the capital.

At 0430 this morning, law enforcement barricades were erected and archeologists set up their equipment to commence digging.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Council Member

Here are 2 reports about German and Soviet occupations in Estonia. If you read those, then you understand that Estonia is victim of both regimes. That's why it is very disturbing for Estonians to understand that Nazis are bad and Soviets are good. Russia occupied us until 1994, when last soldiers left bases. Until 1991. when Estonia became independent Soviet repression machine worked in full gear. Russia is trying to built it's identity on Soviet traditions and big victories and that's why it is very painful for them to see us making our own decisions. I added also pictures about their own reburial in Himki district in Moscow. ... and there were no problems. This is exactly the same thing in Tallinn, that our government intends relocate monument to cemetary.

http://www.historycommission.ee/temp/index.htm

http://www.historycommission.ee/temp/index.htm

http://www.just.ee/orb.aw/class=file...eWhiteBook.pdf

About Himki.

http://drugoi.livejournal.com/2161390.html#cutid1
    Last edited by kaur; 04-26-2007 at 01:56 PM.

Default Coming soon to a theater near you

Thanks for the links Kaur !

I have but one thing to add at this point regarding Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov's last and recent threat:

There will be "severe consequences" for moving the monument to a cemetery.
    I have to wonder, will such consequences include the rape and mutilation of women, the mass execution of Estonian leaders, and carting President Ilves off for a lengthy stay in Tver? Or just a boycott of Estonian Sour Cream ?

Stay tuned.

PS

Is Lavrov representing the Russian Federation or the Russian Mafia? Protesting is one thing, but "threatening consequences" is quite another -- bullying a sovereign country which also happens to be a member of NATO.
    Last edited by Stan; 04-26-2007 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Forgot the last line !

Default Probably the last post for this thread

For those who viewed this thread from time-to-time, this will be my last one.

The controversial Bronze Soldier monument was removed this morning at about 0400 following an Estonian government emergency meeting in the interests of national security after a night of heavy rioting.

One man was killed; over 50 reported injuries and over 300 arrests.

Violence broke out yesterday evening after skirmishes between police and several hundred Russian-speaking youths, gathered throughout the day and early evening to protest what was only to be exploratory excavation work. The rioters (mainly teenagers in their 20's), after being pushed back from the monument onto side streets, smashed nearly every ground floor window and some 2nd and 3rd story windows in the first city block leading to the monument's site.

Based on reports that many of those who participated in disturbances were drinking, Tallinn authorities have banned the sale of alcohol beginning today at 1400 until the morning of May 2nd.

We were on duty last night, performing typical EOD response calls and couldn't comprehend the destruction and violence along a major BLVD taking place. As we came up behind one of the local fire company trucks and fire investigator's Subaru, a hail of stones and various other projectiles hit the fire truck and the driver brought the beast to a dead halt. The road now nearly blocked and almost nowhere to go, we cranked our Patrol into high gear over the curbs and hauled ass. The fire truck decided to follow us!

I realize that this crowd was predominately Russian and very drunk, but our vehicles are red and white (Police vehicles are blue), with 'Rescue Services' and '112' all over the vehicle (police emergency is 110).

As one firefighter said to me, “I’ve been rescuing these Russians from burning buildings for years, and this is the thanks I get”.

There are over 15 videos on you tube, but this one shows the beginning and subsequent lootings.

Footage from "Bronze Soldier" Riot 2
    Last edited by Stan; 04-27-2007 at 12:38 PM. Reason: fixed the link...still learning !

Council Member

I'd like to add to Stan's post that 1 victim was not result of riot police job, but victim of stabbing among two persons with Slavic names.

Council Member

Drunk Russians! No! What is the world coming to!? Glad to hear you didn't have to grapple with any of the Bolsheviks on hand.

Default Estonian Government has removed the grave marker

Hey Goesh !
    We had sidearms, but were already instructed to leave, not shoot. A damn shame if you ask me. I'll go to the range this weekend as promised and use my imagination

A little more from the Estonian MFA. Well put, Mr. Minister !
    http://www.vm.ee/eng/kat_138/8370.html

Originating from the situation in Tallinn and acting based on the “Protection of War Graves Act” §8 article 2, the Estonian Government has decided to immediately remove the Tõnismäe grave marker (Bronze Soldier).

The objective of the government’s decision is to avert further brutal acts of public violence, which are realistic threats to the health and property of citizens. The decision to immediately remove the Bronze Soldier was made to ensure that it cannot be used in the future as a reason or cause for extensive and dangerous rioting.

Yesterday’s rioters found the police presence and the assembly of people to be a good reason to act destructively.

The rioters showed clearly that their real goal was to riot, destroy, break and loot.

These actions confirm that they have nothing to do with respecting and protecting the memories of those who fell during World War II.
    Meanwhile, the Russians are considering -- and probably will -- sever diplomatic relations with Estonia.
    Last edited by Stan; 04-27-2007 at 01:33 PM.