Actually not too much disagreement, but we do have significant space between us on this point.

I am not sure I would agree with this for a number of reasons but most of them because I don’t envision nationalism being a major force in the Pacific. I still see many parts of Asia splintered by ethnic divisions – more disunity based on ethnic identity than unity based on national identity. Even China has this issue. As I recall, Beijing had to use Mongolian forces from the north to quell the rioters in Tiananmen Square because the local commander refused (at least I think I remember reading that somewhere).
There are other threads that discuss this at length, so I really don't see the issue of nationalism even being debatable. Both Japan and China (and others in the region) are seeing increasing nationalism, nationalism their governments' will find hard to control. The ethnic diversity in Asia isn't irrelevant (over 3,000 languages spoken), but Japan has historically been xenophobic and nationalistic, and China's Han (the true Chinese in their view) are a nationalistic group within a multiethnic China.

I think you undersell what the military can do politically. For example the Theater Security Cooperation Program (TCSP) can do a lot to build bridges with other nations. Getting to know and working with mid level field grade officers today can mean that you are friends with the dictator of the country tomorrow ;-)
All kidding aside, military to military programs are helpful. They build trust that helps maintain alliances.
Actually no kidding, all your points are valid, but they are not relevant to my comments about FID and stability operations (occupying a nation). I agree that our TSCP is a very powerful tool, but that is a different issue and that effort doesn't appear to be at risk, though funding may get reduced.

I guess I would like to see something in between. Not really sure what that is – just know we aren’t there yet.
I agree, but we should probably have an idea of right looks like before we build it. Unfortunately too many think right looks like the Army in Afghanistan currently. In my opinion I think we have learned the wrong lessons, and have more concern we'll build the wrong force based on those lessons than if we just focus on our core mission. There are also economic realities, how much of a stability force can we sustain persistently? Should the bulk of it be in the reserves? There are pro's and con's to every decision, but ultimately decisions should be based on an informed risk assessment to our national interests, not just probability of an event. Small Wars will never go away (bold statement, but...), but how important are they? We have to put them in context.

I also believe that America is filled with evangelical democrats. You want to get America’s blood boiling simply paint the side you want to attack as a dictator who abuses his people’s human rights and the side you want to support as democratic revolutionaries. It sells, but it is a message that can take on a life of its own to the point where American’s are demanding action in fights we are not currently designed to deal with. Happens every twenty years or so. It will happen again. I guess I would like to be ready for it.
This is our own form of nationalism and I agree and already see it happening for Syria.