Thanks Tom. In response I would like to clarify by saying my definition of victory is not based solely on destruction. I think, tough, that to defeat one's enemy in war, force and destruction are critical components. How does one defeat an enemy in armed conflict without in some way actually destroying or threatening to destroy his ability to wage war and/or what is dear to him? Of course there are other elements of national power that come into play and other strategies, but the capability to destroy (sometimes used, sometimes only threatened) is of supreme importance. It forces peace. I very much agree with wm's point about winning the peace to ensure victory endures. A nation must use every means at its disposal to achieve victory based on correctly defined objectives.

I don't think I am engaging in Feith-based intelligence analysis by simply raising the point, asking what others think, and whether there is analysis and literature out there to offer evidence for or against the "conclusion"…I'm trying to get on the right track and perhaps have an interesting discussion in the meantime. I do however think America's current enemies have drawn their own conclusions about instances where the U.S. lacked resolve…

There were indeed good reasons not to have started the war in Iraq, as we can see today. But had the U.S. had the will to wage the war “properly” from the beginning and been [more] successful, perhaps the bad reasons would not now be so emphasized? Iraq will certainly be a mistake if the United States is not successful or largely perceived to have failed. If the U.S. is able to achieve something close to its original policy goal of a friendly, stable Iraqi leadership and society with some form of thriving representative government, then it is less likely that Iraq will be deemed a mistake. Some may argue this was never possible, but I believe that the full military, diplomatic, political, industrial, etc. might of the United States, if effectively employed, would have resulted in a different situation than what we are facing today (and of course a willingness to correct mistakes, adapt, etc.). The U.S. must avoid getting into conflicts it does not have the will to win.