Thread: Command Responsibility and War Crimes: general discussion

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My conclusion is that nothing has changed in a century; the international laws of war are a minimal topic with little value added for most people; and that topic is probably better left to specialized sites such as Lawfare and Opinio Juris, where there is peer review. If I'm wrong, please tell me why.
    Mike,

I'll not tell you that you are wrong.
    However, I will suggest (as I climb upon my soapbox) that the international laws of war are not a minimal topic. Instead, this a topic that I believe is minimalized by many so that they do not have to deal with the very ugly thing that war is. Perhaps if we were to bring it out into the open even more, people might be less inclined to allow a bunch of jingoist rhetoric or drum-thumping politicians to influence them and allow the Executive to put people (both those in uniform and the innocent civilians that are supposedly being protected) into harm's way without very good reasons. (Maybe such discussion will even raise the standards for what count as very good reasons.) If nothing else, such discussions might be less likely to become exercises in causistry, with many people responding in a way similar to how Dayuhan did earlier in this thread to torque you and Polar Bear 1605 off. (Off my soapbox now, back to re-reading Kant's Perpetual Peace).
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 08-05-2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Fix quote
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    The greatest educational dogma is also its greatest fallacy: the belief that what must be learned can necessarily be taught. — Sydney J. Harris