Thread: Modernization Theory is Hokum.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Many Thanks

JMM,

Thanks

I was just on the Rand site today pulling down stuff.

I realized that I needed to add another section on what Modernization was not. Modernization is not Nation-Building as defined in Rand's "The Beginner's Guide to Nation-Building” which
    …involves the use of armed forces as part of a broader effort to promote political and economic reforms with the objective of transforming a society from conflict into one at peace with itself and its neighbors.
    That is pretty close, but it is self limiting by only dealing with economic and political reforms. It may be that people assume that those reforms are the triggers to full blown modernization, but I will deal with that elsewhere. Also the intent seems to be stabilization not modernization – you could ensure peace internally and with its neighbors without trying to turn it into a western democracy.

Likewise, it is not Democratization since that only deals with a specific political transition to democracy. Modernization is a complete change in the social structure as noted in one of my earlier posts.

I will dig though the material and see if I find conflict between the claimed definition and the reality of the operations.
    Last edited by TheCurmudgeon; 08-09-2013 at 06:37 PM.
    "I can change almost anything ... but I can't change human nature."

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
    ---