Thread: Syria under Bashir Assad (closed end 2014)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Has anyone here seen a proclamation from AQ (outside or inside of Syria) that frames the fact its members are fighting in Syria?

I see a lot of media making the claim, referring to seeing flags and such, and all around making it sound as though every foreign fighter is by default Al-Qaeda.

I'm just talking out loud here, but when people get their panties in a twist about AQ somehow "coming to power" if Assad's regime falls, what the hell does that even mean? I'm getting a little jaded by the continued portrayal of Syria as ending up as a win for either AQ and radical Islam, or the butchery of Assad, with no room allowed for any middle ground.

Besides the story being repeated so much that it takes on a truth all its own, where is the evidence? Does some young Libyan's claim that he is down with Al-Qaeda pose any credible threat? There are a lot of knuckleheads who like to spout off about supporting an ideology, but so what?!?

Furthermore, has anyone seen rational analysis that believes AQ could gain a new base in Syria?
    And why do so many presume that the if the resistance defeats Assad, AQ would come to the fore?

I think it's pretty short-sighted to assume that after Assad falls, the larger body of Syrian civiluans would put up with AQ in their midst. They aren't stupid, and know what happened with the Taliban, and what continues to happen in Yemen, and the border areas of Pakistan.

Am I missing something?
    Last edited by jcustis; 08-30-2013 at 01:36 AM.