Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
Mark,

First, some "book" keeping. You suggested Moran's book a long time ago. I've read it twice and some sections more. It doesn't address surrender issues as I recall (it has no index).

William Miller has been at Michigan Law since 1985 (well after my time). It appears that a lot of his Yale Law polish has been dented. Perhaps enough so that he might even be ready for primetime at Michigan Tech. In any event, I've ordered used hardcovers of his The Mystery of Courage and Eye for an Eye - basically for shipping costs.

The last book deals with:

I'll see how well it matches my own construct of retribution, reprobation and specific deterrence.

The present topic would be simpler if surrender were not an option - as in the Camerone and Iwo Jima traditions; or, in the tradition of Ulzana's Raid (1.5 hrs).
Mike, as always your research is impeccable.

(a quick response as I am going out for a long day away from all communications)

We may be starting to talk at cross purposes. I am looking more at the trigger in the mind of the commander or soldier that leads to a surrender decision. Even in wars where it is 'better' to die in combat (like a man) than to surrender and be tortured or starved to death men surrender. I don't believe that surrender is based on sound tactical grounds but rather something that happens in the head of the individual decision maker. I would like to try to understand that.