A closer review of the new regulation:

1–5. Definitions
c. Sensitive information.
(1) Sensitive information (formerly known as sensitive but unclassified (SBU) information) is information requiring special protection from disclosure that could cause compromise or threat to our national security, an Army organization, activity, family member, Department of the Army (DA) civilian, or DOD contractor.
----
(3) Examples of sensitive information include, but are not limited to:
----
(e) Unclassified information designated For Official Use Only (FOUO) … Examples include but are not limited to: force protection, movement and readiness data, tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTPs), proprietary information and information protected by copyright, pre-decisional documents, draft publications, and information concerning security systems.
As I read this, just about everything that relates to the military can fit in the category of FOUO in this definition -- particularly when it includes the key phrase tactics, techniques, and procedures. In my view, this includes doctrine, lessons learned, and any discussion of current operations.

2–1. All Army personnel
Operations security is everyone’s responsibility. Failure to properly implement OPSEC measures can result in serious injury or death to our personnel, damage to weapons systems, equipment and facilities, loss of sensitive technologies and mission failure. OPSEC is a continuous process and an inherent part of military culture and as such, must be fully integrated into the execution of all Army operations and supporting activities. All Department of the Army (DA) personnel (active component, reserve component to include U.S. Army Reserve, Army National Guard, and DA civilians), and DOD contractors will—
----
b. Protect from disclosure any critical information and sensitive information to which they have personal access.
----
c. Prevent disclosure of critical and sensitive information in any public domain to include but not limited to the World Wide Web, open source publications, and the media.
----
g. Consult with their immediate supervisor and their OPSEC Officer for an OPSEC review prior to publishing or posting information in a public forum.
(1) This includes, but is not limited to letters, resumes, articles for publication, electronic mail (e-mail), Web site postings, web log (blog) postings, discussion in Internet information forums, discussion in Internet message boards or other forms of dissemination or documentation.
(2) Supervisors will advise personnel to ensure that sensitive and critical information is not to be disclosed. Each unit or organization’s OPSEC Officer will advise supervisors on means to prevent the disclosure of sensitive and critical information.
This part of the regulation states that Army personnel (all categories) may not disclose any sensitive data (including the broad definition of FOUO above) in -- letters, resumes, articles for publication, blogs, etc...

The policy is written so broadly that I don't know how anyone in the Army can participate in this forum... or write home... or write for publication. Just about everything I do and write about is included in this regulation.

I don't know how Military Review, Parameters, Armed Forces Journal, or any other publication that is available on the web (or in libraries) will be able to exist under these rules -- unless all of the authors will be those who are completely out of the system.

I'm grateful that LTC Yingling got his article out before this regulation hit the streets...