Thread: Paramilitary forces in Colombia's conflicts: literature?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks for the help selil and david! Much appreciated. I have decided I will focus on Colombian paramilitary forces. Mainly on the failed demobilization of the AUC and its paramilitary groups between 2003 and 2006. I am mainly interested in the differences between the paramilitary groups before and after the demobilization process.

If im getting the literature right, the demobilization process of paramilitary forces in Colombia was quite a failure. The Colombian government seemed unable (or unwilling?) to effectively demobilize the AUC and its paramilitary forces. As a result, new paramilitary groups jumped in this vacuum after the demobilization and it seems that they are just as violent as before.

I mainly want to focus and the 'how'. How was it possible that the Colombian government did not adequately took its chance to demobilize these paramilitary forces? or 'How do the contemporary paramilitaries compare to those before the demobilization process'

Still open to suggestions on literature of course
    Last edited by Bjesse; 10-09-2013 at 02:51 PM.