Hi Rob,

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Thornton View Post
I like what Tom said though about the behind the times bit - its not recognition of the site I think as much as recognition of how information and analysis flows today and how it might change/evolve tomorrow. Its much easier to recognize (as in identify) physical groups / organizations then it is communities that exist online. This is one of our problems combatting terrorist organizations - our culture likes to enumerate and quantify - we are empirical in our processes (Marc - I'm leaving you a huge opening here ).
That you are . Unfortunately, I have to log off in a couple of minutes and do a series of telephone interviews which are going to tie me up until 8 tonight <sigh>. I'll try and take off on it later....

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Thornton View Post
The fact that people have a hard time recognizing things for what they are points to some of our problems in this fight and how the enemy is is often shape shifting in order to make them difficult to target - I'm starting to drift, but it sets up a good discussion I think.
I agree. At the same time, I think it is crucially important to look at the synergy of interaction. If by "empirical" we include "it works", then we have a situation where theories and models are spun out and then threshed by the flails of field experience. This is, to my mind really good science. Anyway, got to rush...

Marc