Thread: EUCOM Economic Analysis - Part I

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation

From petty talk about stocks to one of the important developments in Italy after the war, in the South the deaths outnumber the births. In the Mezzogiornos often tormented history this happened only twice in peacetime: 1867 after the Italian unity and in the grip of the Spanish fever.

Desertificazione del Sud: I morti superano i nati - Cos solo dopo l?Unit e durante la Spagnola.

C' da rimanere impietriti a guardare in quali condizioni versa il Sud. Il lavoro una chimera, la povert aumenta vertiginosamente, i giovani scappano, il divario con il resto del Paese diventa abisso. Per non parlare del macigno della criminalit. L'ultimo rapporto del centro studi sull' economia meridionale Svimez ci consegna uno scenario angosciante, nel quale avanza soltanto una cosa: la desertificazione. Industriale, economica, ambientale. Perfino umana: nel 2012 il numero dei morti ha superato quello dei nati vivi. Nella storia del Mezzogiorno d'Italia era accaduto soltanto due volte: nel 1867, pochi anni dopo l'unit, e nel 1918, anno dell'epidemia di spagnola. Un dato che segnala le proporzioni di un dramma destinato ad assumere proporzioni enormi, considerando che anche la fecondit femminile ha subito una preoccupante battuta d'arresto. Non si fanno pi figli: 1,35 per ogni donna al Sud, 1,43 al Centro-Nord. Il rapporto Svimez ci dice che il ritmo dell'emigrazione ormai costante. L'anno scorso sono scappati dalle Regioni meridionali in 112 mila. Negli ultimi vent'anni hanno definitivamente lasciato il Sud 2 milioni 700 mila persone. Fuggono i giovani, che sono il 70 per cento di chi emigra, fuggono le donne, che sono il 50 per cento, fuggono i laureati, che sono il 25 per cento.
    Interestingly the 'esodo' was not higher then the mean during the last 20 years, however the lower birth rates have taken their toll and there is just a smaller pool of people which tend to emigrate. Most of them are between 20 and 40 with a peak around 30. While in the past the Mezzogiorno could replace it's migration losses with it's fertility, however times have changed greatly and in the last decade the Southern population has just remained stable with a big grey shift. In highly likely indeed that it will shrink a very considerable amount in the next decades.

The macroeconomic data coming from this report is bad for Italy as a whole but downright depressing when looking at the South. It does not make for happy reading.

Here you can read the Italian summary, there is no English version.

P.S: I just wanted to add something to avoid getting misunderstood. It is good that people with pretty low chances to get a half-away decent job are mobile and go to find work where there is more. I wrote about that a couple of times in this thread and in addition still think that public spending has a considerably higher multiplier in the North. Sadly the exodus is a reaction to the terrible state of the South, Italian depression or not, which only has become (much) worse in the last five years.
    Last edited by Firn; 10-22-2013 at 08:08 PM.
    ... "We need officers capable of following systematically the path of logical argument to its conclusion, with disciplined intellect, strong in character and nerve to execute what the intellect dictates"

General Ludwig Beck (1880-1944);
    Speech at the Kriegsakademie, 1935