Thread: India-US relations: cooling and warming up (merged thread)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default More than one principle

Of course it's a matter of principle. It's also being used to comment on the state of the India American relationship.

More than one principle is at stake. The US shouldn't have let this get out of hand and someone needs to look at the State Department and the administration and how it got to this point.

But the Indians failed on a point of principle too; better quality people capable of following laws, especially where they have been warned, should be appointed. Diplomacy is a two way street. Vienna conventions and learning the ways of your host country and its behavior.

If now both Indian and American diplomats are more careful, good. It's a high flying life for some and they cause so much trouble for the nations they are supposed to represent.

I know of relatives that have been asked to fiddle papers for Indians assigned to the UN and the relative refused.

I'm sure the same goes on in India with American officials that try and skirt rules.

Maybe we should all focus on being competent for a change.

What goes around comes around. The US and India are both getting this message. At least, the more competent should understand. Letting it all get to this point is a clown show. The Chinese must be rolling around in laughter at both.

And both the Indian and American commentary is stuck in the 1970's. It's 2014.

Everyone has a point, everyone is correct on the one point they are discussing. But, overall, it's a complicated and multifactorial issue.

The punditry has been appallingly shallow in the papers.
    Last edited by Madhu; 01-15-2014 at 05:54 PM. Reason: adding one more sentence
    “I am practicing being kind instead of right” - Matthew Quick, The Silver Linings Playbook

"Throughout the world sounds one long cry from the heart of the artist: Give me the chance to do my very best." - Babette's Feast