I will only comment on Italian politics after the dust from the infighting has settle, at least for the time being. It is just a too disgusting spectacle right now.

The NZZ explains in simple and frank terms the logic of the EU actions. A long time ago I had European law as a course and althought I have forgotten most the basic principles are still present. I even have the Codex somewhere.

In short there are no surprises in the way the EU acts, apart perhaps from the speed. One has to keep three concepts in mind:

1) The national sovereignty of Switzerland with it's strong comittment to direct democracy.

2) The inter/supranational nature of the EU with it's intricate systems of treaties. In simplistic terms the EU is entitled in certain areas by it's member states to act instead.

3) The specific nature of the treaties between the two entities. The 'Freizuegigkeit' was a part of a bundle 'Bilateralen I' which has to be accepted as a whole by both sides.

The Swiss government finds himself against it's will in a very difficult situation in which it fights, in Swiss parlance, with far shorter pikes.