Thread: Ukraine (closed; covers till August 2014)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    That brings up the question of who constitutes Vlad's real constituency, the ones he actually cares most about, the Russians or the oligarchs? Judging by the state of Russian public health, I'm figuring it isn't the people.

That video may have been surreal, but people die in surreal circumstance too.
    No one of those "brave airmen" were in danger, they have already learned that "polite people with guns" are not about to shoot at them. (one of those "polite guys" on the video is a defected civil security guard, hated "Berkut")

on Putin. You are right about his constituency, but look at this from other side - sanctions will give him a tool to break his chains and become truly independent. Old good alliance of the King and the People against the Aristocracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Firn View Post
    @mirhond: A crashing stock market in Russia, mostly due to a natural market reaction to military conflict, is actually a pretty targeted outcome against the Russian elite and upper class . I doubt that more then 15% of the Russians hold directly shares. The talk of economic sanction has certainly done it's part too. If the occupation flares up again, the Russian shares will obviously bear the brunt.
    I think my answer to carl answers your note too. Besides, our stock-market is a fairy kingdom, completley misterious to majority of population. I'm not sure about numbers, but I'd rather divide your guess of 15% share-holders by 3. Moreover, financial wellfare of the political elites and upper classes is hardly secured in shares and securities, so they will not suffer a lot.
    Last edited by mirhond; 03-05-2014 at 07:56 PM.