Thread: Not having the National Guard equipment

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A Perfect Storm: Army National Equipment Shortfall

I'm not too sure I want to know more

For example, some Army National Guard units still use M35 series trucks, M113 armored per*sonnel carriers, and the older M1 tanks with 105mm guns. Other Guard units still rely on radio equip*ment that cannot change frequencies, use outdated encryption technology, and cannot communicate effectively with active Army units or first responders.
    We used to say (yes, a decade ago thank you very much !) Strive for excellence, not perfection. M35 wheeled vehicles ?

This multifaceted problem extends beyond the Guard’s older gear and equipment shortfalls for domestic mission requirements. Department of Defense Directive 1225.6, “Equipping the Reserve Forces,” requires that replacement equipment be delivered to Guard and Reserve units for equip*ment transferred to the active Army for longer than 90 days. Many equipment transfers were never accounted for properly, and as of June 2006, few plans to replace equipment had been drawn up by the Army, and even fewer had been approved.
    Sad, that the human factor still accounts for our casualties, at home and abroad.

Reading SGM's and Wierdbeard's recent posts, the problem is not only stoneage, but unacceptable. Did we really prepare these folks with outdated equipment to go to Iraq and Afghanistan ? Does anyone still make M1 105 rounds ?

To meet combatant com*manders’ mandates that National Guard units deploy with 90 percent to 100 percent of their required equipment, the Guard and Reserves have been transferring equipment from non-deployed units to those preparing to deploy to make up for severe shortfalls.
    I won't even pretent to know what the missing 10 percent is of required equipment.

I signed for M60A3TTS tanks, M3 grease guns and .45 cal pistols that were so rickety that waterfowl were afraid when we went to the range.
    Ski, our posts crossed along the internet !
    I am at a loss for words. I will admit, that the M60 CEV and M3 are among my favorites...But not rickety.
    Last edited by Stan; 05-07-2007 at 07:29 PM.