Thread: Airliner missing between Malaysia and Cambodia/Vietnam, terrorism possible

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    I am of the belief that the only place to land the aircraft on the northern arc is China, with the knowledge and cooperation of the Chinese government. Possibly a hijacking and seige being kept quiet until resolved.
    Or the Chinese shot it down, subsequently realized that a bunch of their citizens were on board, and decided not to mention it... there are places along the China/Myanmar border for a downed plane to disappear.

That's only slightly less farfetched than the idea that it's hidden in Pakistan.

I'd expect the Chinese to resolve a siege pretty quickly, though not necessarily cleanly.

Of course, I'm also of the belief that the focus on the northern arc was done simply because it'd be resolved faster. The southern arc will take a great deal more time and effort.
    That makes more sense. Less entertainment, but more sense.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
    Or the Chinese shot it down, subsequently realized that a bunch of their citizens were on board, and decided not to mention it... there are places along the China/Myanmar border for a downed plane to disappear.

That's only slightly less farfetched than the idea that it's hidden in Pakistan.

I'd expect the Chinese to resolve a siege pretty quickly, though not necessarily cleanly.
    Yes, we're heading towards the 'stolen by alien space bats' end of the spectrum with just about any theory that doesn't end with 'It's at the bottom of the ocean in location unknown for reason unknown and won't be found for some time, if at all', just as happened several decades ago with another Malaysian passenger flight.

Latitude 17° 5' 11N, Longitude 120° 54' 24E, altitude 1499m. Right where I want to be.

Yes, we're heading towards the 'stolen by alien space bats' end of the spectrum with just about any theory that doesn't end with 'It's at the bottom of the ocean in location unknown for reason unknown and won't be found for some time, if at all', just as happened several decades ago with another Malaysian passenger flight.
    Yes, combine that northern arc with 7 hrs flying time and almost any scenario you come up with makes a Bond film look realistic. The ocean is by far the most likely end to the story. I hope they do find it, though they may not. If nothing else, it would be good to have some idea what happened.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary”

H.L. Mencken