Thread: Ukraine (closed; covers till August 2014)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Good catch about the water channel. I'm pretty sure that the Ukrainian government will decide to cut it's subventions on water delivery and will find out that it has to charge higher prices to be able to deliver the services to it's costumers. In the end the NCC seems to be in a deplorable state and in dire need of large investments...

From what I have read there are lots of divisions inside families, young and old, friends and couples across ethnic, political and linguistic borders which seemed hardly relevant a couple of weeks ago. Significant emigration should mostly come from the young and educated, further depressing the private sector and accelerating the demographic trend downwards. Lots of unkowns so far. This will be smart to monitor.

-----------------

Russia's Online-Comment Propaganda Army is an older article in the Atlantic by the Russian author Olga Khazan. The part from the St. Petersburg Times is especially interesting considering the current propaganda offensive and possibly some recent activities at the SWC:

To my question about a technical task—what exactly should be written in the comments—a young guy, a coordinator, told me, briefly and clearly, that they were having busy days at the moment and that yesterday they all wrote in support of [Moscow acting mayor Sergei] Sobyanin, while ‘today we #### on Navalny,’” she wrote on her VKontakte [ed: a Russian social network] page.

According to Lvova, each commenter was to write no less than 100 comments a day, while people in the other room were to write four postings a day, which then went to the other employees whose job was to post them on social networks as widely as possible.

Employees at the company, located at 131 Lakhtinsky Prospekt, were paid 1,180 rubles ($36.50) for a full 8-hour day and received a free lunch, Lvova wrote.
    At least that part of the war seems to come rather cheap for the Russians...
    Last edited by Firn; 03-24-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    ... "We need officers capable of following systematically the path of logical argument to its conclusion, with disciplined intellect, strong in character and nerve to execute what the intellect dictates"

General Ludwig Beck (1880-1944);
    Speech at the Kriegsakademie, 1935