Thread: Ukraine (closed; covers till August 2014)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
    A couple promises were broken, but this is incorrect. An association treaty (which wasn't even ratified) isn't the same as integration and IIRC the promises were actually about NATO expansion and Western troops in the former Warsaw Pact.

The only permanent Western troops presences in the former Warsaw pact that I know of are
    * East Germany, which within limits was part of the agreement.
    * Those two much criticized U.S. BMD installations
    * the tiny air policing fighter flight NATO countries provide for the Baltic countries
    * embassy-, liaison-, officer exchange- and intel-related personnel
    Sorry, here I disagree. An EU association of an European country always include the (slim) danger, that this country becomes a second Poland and will apply for full membership in around 15 years. And please do not tell me, we would and could object then. EU association is for me a red line, as it has hidden military implications. :-)

As Germans we should admit that one part of the deal with Gorbachow was the preservation of a glacis, something that was eroded in the last year. We can only discuss the motivations to do so, not the fact.

The correct sequence IMHO would have been to offer Russia NATO membership, then offer EU association to Ukraine.
    Last edited by Ulenspiegel; 03-27-2014 at 03:19 PM.