Thread: The Second Ammendment Lobby and Police Safety

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Getting back to the main theme and what David asked about the villain in popular movies tending to be an evil, repressive government. After thinking about what Stan wrote about the things we have done in recent years, I can see how people would feel that the American government is not the same. That it is no longer the moral stalwart it once was.

Before JW Bush we did not engage in targeted assassinations. There was an executive directive against it. Now drones engage in extrajudicial assassinations on a regular basis. We even justify the innocent people we kill in these attacks as justifiable collateral damage. We even kill American citizens. We now engage in kidnappings and torture, things we would have condemned if committed by others. We use the NSA, an agency that was not supposed to spy on US citizens, to collect meta data on our phone calls. It is not hard to see how the general population could begin to feel uneasy about the way we quickly discarded ideals we felt defined us as a nation in the interest of security.
    Last edited by TheCurmudgeon; 04-08-2014 at 12:53 AM.
    "I can change almost anything ... but I can't change human nature."

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
    ---