Thread: The Second Ammendment Lobby and Police Safety

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheCurmudgeon View Post
    Here, again, we get to the crux of the problem. Why will Americans, who have more than most people in other countries can dream of having, want to attack their own government? What is it they feel they are being deprived of? How does that relate to insurrection and insurgency in general? Unfortunately, I am asking rhetorical questions, because no one ever wants to address them.
    So, this post serves two purposes. First, I proved that I can quote myself

Second, it reminds me of the Davis J-Curve. Chances are you either don't know it or don't like it, but it seems clearly applicable here. The Davies J-Curve is a theory of revolution. It basically states that people will revolt when they have been gaining ground socially and then those gains turn into loses. The people get angry and revolt. Now, I do believe that, as originally proposed, it was too expansive and attempted to be able to explain all situations. BUT, I do think is has some interesting things to offer when we look at why Americans suddenly feel the need to attack their own government with such zeal.

In 1962, Davies presented his J-curve theory. He stated that revolutions are most likely to occur when periods of prolonged improvements concerning economic and social development are supplanted by a period of sharp reversal. He used evidence from the Dorr’s rebellion, the Russian revolution, and the Egyptian revolution to support his argument. According to Davies, the sharp reversal of development creates an intolerable gap between what people want and what they get.
    http://www.popularsocialscience.com/...f-revolutions/
    Last edited by TheCurmudgeon; 04-10-2014 at 03:01 AM.
    "I can change almost anything ... but I can't change human nature."

Jon Osterman/Dr. Manhattan
    ---