Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
I have a question out of curiosity.

For those of you who have fired a MAG-58 type gun and a Bren gun, which do think is better suited for use as a squad level weapon?
My experience of MGs was mainly as a reservist and did not involve combat operations.

The top-mounted magazine made the Bren LMG fast to reload and easy to carry and use particularly when prone. Also its downward ejection was low observable except when in a dustbowl. For a right-handed firer the sight was unobscured, less applicable to left-handed. Weapon was overlong but well-balanced and very reliable and accurate. During 1970s, AusArmy reintroduced the Bren especially for patrolling to complement the troublesome M-60 GPMG.

With regard to built-in stoppages, a manageable sized belt of say 30 to 100 rounds used up without extension makes for a much slower one-man reload than does a box magazine.

As a MAG-58 type GPMG, the M-60 was usefully compact and well balanced for carriage and ready fire. But it had many dysfunctional aspects. In fact so many problem areas that during the 1970s AusArmy reintroduced the Bren especially for patrolling.

Have handled but not trialed and fired the MAG-58. Found it overlong and poorly balanced with the belt-feed too far forward of the trigger grip. But durability/functioning and robustness/ruggedness count for a lot everywhere. In general the MAG-58 is thoroughly proven as suitable – though not ideal – for squad/section, and better as a GPMG/MMG for use above that level.

Currently there are two well-credentialled LMGs contending for squad/section level use. The Mark48 and Negev 7 are each compact and seem well balanced with belt-feed near the trigger grip. The Mark-48 has great lineage. But so does the NG7. Assuming similar durability/maintainability and robustness/ruggedness my vote goes to the NG7 for its single shot capability and alternate use of bottom-mounted box magazine.

Of course would prefer to see both modified to provide downward ejection alongside - or via a chute in - the belt container. Also as a lesser priority belt-feed from left and right sides. Plus immediate alternate use preferably in either belt-feed slot of say a 30-round box mag. ..... etc