Bill,

I am not criticizing the current approach, I am merely pointing out that it is based more upon our Western interpretation of history, framing governance conflicts in religious terms, rather than appreciating the nature of these conflicts for what they more accurately are.

As to offering solutions, I have published and presented on this routinely. As these are not truly military problems, the solutions are not military solutions. Reframing the problem helps us to begin to reframe solutions. Once this is done the supporting tasks for the military will quickly emerge. We have to get past the idea that one must defeat the threat to the status quo first with the military prior to civilian governance officials tidying up behind. Governance reform must lead.

We actually see a de facto reform of US foreign policy taking place. The changes are largely positive IMO, but because their is no articulated theory for why they are making those changes and no articulated strategy to frame the context of what we are likely to do or not do, it is creating massive uncertainty for US Foe, Ally and Partner alike. The American people as well.

To cling to the approaches of the past, as many draw comfort from and encourage, as they criticize the current administration, can only lead to failure. To simply send out the military to beat down and prop up polices that have expired in the context of the world we live in today is folly.

A new National Security Strategy should be coming out soon. I hope it is dramatically more pragmatic than the family of post Cold War strategies we have attempted to live by in recent years. I hope it is more than vague, fluffy hand waves and platitudes.

But read my published piece on a recommendation for a new Grand Strategy rooted in the concepts that FDR planned to implement had he survived.

Read my published piece on a way ahead for Afghanistan focused on stepping back from attempting to prop up the government we created, and a mix of reconciliation, supporting the development of a replacement of the current destructively failed Afghan constitution with one more in tune with the culture and trust issues of the region; and being more pragmatic about working with whatever government emerges rather than thinking we need to shape who the winners or losers are.

I give too many solutions frankly, and am working more now on simply helping people to step back and think about the problem more clearly and then working out better solutions for themselves.