Quote Originally Posted by mirhond View Post
I have no such data, I just enjoy common sence which allows me to to fill my food basket with variety of unsanctioned grub for a reasonable price.
God bless you, innocent child, cherish your anecdotal beliefs, while middle class and poor out there are making themselves ready for food rationing, gravely serious.
It's not ancedotal, you just do not have any idea of trade. Even the US can't just switch it's primary imports of form one country to the other even if the other has the supplies. It takes months if not years to build the infrastructure, establish routes, line up trade companies, and get the government red tape approved. You and 'common sense' do not change what is well established and even taught in Russian schools about trade.

And I bet you it's still affordable, you have warehouses still full of stuff that was in the pipeline. Factories for apple juice still have polish apples sitting waiting to be juiced. They will not next month.

Russia's own government websites put food imports from the countries it banned as high. So, tell me how you expect Russia to avoid increases in the months it takes to negotiate and establish with others in the mean time when Russia has not now or ever been 100% independent on trade? Why Russia is magically immune to cost increases when supply influences cost. Russia just cut a large source of the supplies?

These are facts of trade. If the US banned Mexican strawberries it could get them from Brazil, cost would still suffer within a month and beyond. This isn't about nationalistic nonsense.