Bill,

If I correctly understand the Chinese approach in Africa it is one of non-interference, which I would think equates to supporting, even reinforcing, the status quo. Do most Africans enjoy the status quo. I realize their are many countries and cultures in Africa, but the problems of corruption and lack of opportunity seem to run through most of the countries. China is pragmatic about its self-interests, I think the U.S. actually has a longer term vision tied to the human condition throughout Africa.
I live in Africa, I'm really trying to figure out how US is changing the status quo here. You see, there's a world of difference between US rhetoric (which I admit is as intoxicating as fine wine) and reality.

A few nautikal miles from Nigeria is equatorial Guinea - its strong man, Obiang, has been in power sinxe 1979. He's worse than Mugabe - but unlike Mugabe, he has oil, lots of it - and Chevron is very happy with him.

The same applies to Dos Santos of Angola, Museveni of Uganda (apart from periodic outbursts to appease the gay lobby in the States - he's been power since 1985), Kagame in Rwanda, the Algerian generals, Mubarak - then Al Sisi in Egypt. This list is endless.

Consider Paul Biya in Cameroon - he's been on the job since 1982; but since France is happy with him and US must appease France in Francophone Africa - US has to be happy with him.

If you get beyond the sanctimonious bullsh*t from US politicians, diplomats & policy makers - there isn't much difference between US & Chinese conduct in Africa (conduct, not rhetoric).

The important distinction is that China, via trade and infrastructure is creating a lot more economic opportunities, while US is fixated on aid and NGOs - and I know that trade; not aid & NGOs will lead to an African middle class better able to challenge the status quo.