Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
Let's measures the accuracy of your characterizations.

Yes, I have stated this fact a number of times. In contrast, you seem to ignore this fact when advocating for continued escalation in confronting Russia or in building an achiveable policy capable of fulfilling U.S. interests.

Incorrect. I have not stated that Russia "owns" eastern Europe. I have, however, stated that Russia, as a state, has material interests that it pursues with rational policy, and that these interests should be taken into account when the U.S. develops policy towards Russia.

Incorrect. I have stated that Ukraine's territorial integrity is not the exclusive nor most important U.S. interest in the world.

Incorrect. I have stated that Ukraine is not a NATO member and by implication, the U.S. has no security obligations towards Ukraine.

What material obligations does that memorandum impose upon the U.S. in this situation?

That would be contrary to the opinion of many leading analysts in government and scholarship.

Settling that region's problems is one thing. Securing U.S. interests is another. And yes - the U.S. has to actively protect its interests in the region.

Incorrect. I never said 'appease'. I said negotiate. It's fully possible to negotiate without 'appeasment'.

Incorrect. I have said repeatedly that it is important to understand the material interests of the Russian state, and what policies they are pursuing to achieve them. Dismissing them out of hand is an error of the first order.

Incorrect. I have in fact pointed out that all of Russia's conflicts since 1991 have involved problems of ethnic nationalism (and normalizing borders and state building). I have also pointed out that Russia historically was and largely remains an imperial state that does not fully conform to the principles of Westphalian nation-statehood.

This has already been addressed more than once. Repeatedly asking the same question does not constitute an argument - it's actually a failure to undersand the argument.

How many wars end with negotiated settlments and how many end with the annihilation of one of the belligerents?

You seem fixated on the idea that I am not aware that Russia has been pursuing acts of aggression of Ukraine. I've acknowledged this many pages ago. It's time to move the argument forward. You have left many questions unanswered about the preferable U.S. outcome, what policy options are available to achieve it, and how to compel Russia to terminate the conlfict.
AP--you talk about negotiations as the way forward---this is from the close advisor to Putin and part of the core hardliners that Putin is being advised by since he threw out all of his previous liberal advisors.

And what negotiations will work with him?

MT @leonidragozin In VK post, #Kremlin ideologist Alexander #Dugin calls 4 "genocide" of #Ukraine "race of bastards" pic.twitter.com/SHNDcBpLtU