Quote Originally Posted by Dayuhan View Post
As usual with stuff flying around on Twitter, this is suspect: there's no indicated source for the data and no actual transactions cited. The figures would represent a very large deviation from the normal Brent/Urals price spread, and that alone makes them questionable.

When you see a referemce to a specific transaction: i.e. a Urals cargo in the Baltic or Mediterranean sold on x day at dated Brent minus y... then you know the actual price, what people are paying instead of what someone says they are paying. I would not trust such information via Twitter, unless linked to a credible source.

The US was never a significant buyer of Russian oil; domestic production is primarily displacing Venezuelan and Nigerian production. That oil will go somewhere of course, and will compete with Russian oil for buyers.

The Saudis have cut 400k bbl/day. It's not clear how far they are willing to go. So far OPEC seems to be treating it as normal fluctuation, no special meetings to discuss production cuts or any similar indications of alarm.

Which Swedes? Again, don't take it seriously unless specific transaction data is reported.

Yes, it is, though the extent of the problem remains difficult to quantify. That still leaves the question of how any of this relates to the Ukraine. I don't see Putin backing down just because he suddenly has an unanticipated money problem: it might even make him more aggressive. It's not as if backing down in the Ukraine will push oil prices back up again. The oil price problem and the woeful state of the Russian oil industry will be there no matter what happens in the Ukraine, so it's hard to see it as a major influence on the decision making process there.
Dayuhan--there you go again---what will it take for you to "actually see" 1) the price is falling and 2) the reasons why.

Right now in the Us a simple fact---a majority of all refineries are and were built to take source crude--why the pricing was cheaper and the US would then import from wherever the price was the cheapest--now with rather large amounts of US crude online and more coming the US refineries hast shifted away from imports to using inland sources---thus less of a demand from wherever the sources were.

You still have not convinced me that in fact the ME has lowered their production numbers which in fact with a lower US demand creates an over abundance thus ever lowering prices.

Lastly even official Russian sources indicating panic on their lowering cash inflows from sales actually match the net comments regardless of what you think about net comments and lack of validation support.

You do realize that 80% of all intelligence is open source and that often demands no validation process--it is there for all to see and analyze.