There seems to be an overwhelming opinion that the strategic corporal is the answer to our woes in Iraq, but achieving this is as likely as making our Infantry soldiers as capable as the famed Science Fiction Starship Troopers within the next decade.

1. Educated and aware citizens do not volunteer for the Army in droves. While pay is one issue, I would argue it is a minor one. The main reason is the human material that could become the strategic corporal doesn't want to work the 1st SGT, SGM, CSM or CPT whose focus is on conforming to mindless uniformity and regulations. We have to develop senior leaders in the Officer and NCO ranks first that can groom strategic corporals. This requires a significant cultural change within our ranks, and perhaps a purging of our ranks of those who confuse discipline with uniformity. While some degree of uniformity does instill a sense of discipline, the point is we have to many so called leaders that take the mindless to the extreme and drives smart kids out of the Army, or into Special Operations. Our system actually dumbs kids down, because they are taught success is simply conforming and mouthing off with hoo’a giving the illusion of motivation. If you want thinkers, you have to create a culture that accepts them.

2. Our education system that our kids endure does not produce strategic corporals. One could argue that our kids have been dumbed down by computers and computer games. There is very little incentive or cultural emphasis on really thinking.

I agree that if the strategic corporal concept could be initiated, it would be very helpful, but I want to see the plan for implementing it. Maybe a special cohort unit with hand picked leaders?