Thread: Small Wars Reading List

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cliff Notes

Quote Originally Posted by Jugurtha View Post
    After perusing the "library" one could become a bit overwhelmed. If there was to be a "Small Wars Reading List" what would it contain? I'm looking for a relatively condensed reading list that starts from more general small wars books and ends in the esoteric. Would the experts here kindly offer some suggestions?

I just noticed the RFI section of the board. Mods, if this topic belongs there please move it.
    Not to stifle your query but you will get more from SWJ if you introduce yourself so we know your background. You are asking in essence for the "cliff notes" to the library of congress. We have dicussed this many times here and you can also get a head start on it using the search function.

Finally I have put a bibliography I worked up a year or so ago on here in 2 parts. Put them back together as one and the links should work.

Best

Tom
    Attached Files Attached Files

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    Not to stifle your query but you will get more from SWJ if you introduce yourself so we know your background. You are asking in essence for the "cliff notes" to the library of congress. We have dicussed this many times here and you can also get a head start on it using the search function.

Finally I have put a bibliography I worked up a year or so ago on here in 2 parts. Put them back together as one and the links should work.

Best

Tom
    Tom,

Thanks for the bibliography, that was exactly what I was looking for.

As to the other part, I've been away from the forum for a while and didn't know that the "Introduce yourself" thread had been deleted. Sorry for the consternation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jugurtha View Post
    Tom,

Thanks for the bibliography, that was exactly what I was looking for.

As to the other part, I've been away from the forum for a while and didn't know that the "Introduce yourself" thread had been deleted. Sorry for the consternation.
    No consternation at all. Just helps us help you.

Tom

Council Member

Rupert Smith "The Utility of Force"

Default LtGen Jim Mattis' Reading List

Just posted to our SWJ Blog and geared towards Marines and Sailors deploying to CENTCOM's AOR.

Thumbs up Good choice!

I'm becoming more and more a fan of Mattis every day.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Blair View Post
    I'm becoming more and more a fan of Mattis every day.
    Did you ever see his email on professional reading? It got sent around late fall 2003, just before he deployed. We posted it at H-War.

http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/logbrow...0WJA&user=&pw=

Of course, being the troublemaker that I am, I wrote to him to discuss a point he made in the email. We had an interesting exchange. He too is a fan of old books (I suggested old books in another thread). Another Marine who was "famous" for what he read was Evans Carlson. When he departed to travel the PLA's AOR in 1937 he took two books with him: The Education of Henry Adams and The Bible.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by SWJED View Post
    Just posted to our SWJ Blog and geared towards Marines and Sailors deploying to CENTCOM's AOR.
    Excellent! I had the pleasure of working with him on TF 58. I have a funny story about him, but will not derail the thread with it.

Council Member

...for whatever reason, three books that I consider essential to any reading on insurgency tend not to be found on most "lists" I see published recently.

They are The Guerrilla Reader: A Historical Anthology, edited by Walter Laquer - published in '77, its a collection of essays and excerpts from larger writings on the subject throughout history. Its the companion volume to his outstanding book Guerrilla: A Historical and Critical Study, which was published the year prior.

The other book is Inside War: The Guerrilla Conflict in Missouri During the American Civil War, by Michael Fellman, published in '89. Not merely a history of the conflict, it offers insights that are of real value in the COE. When read in this context, I especially recommend the sections on Loyalty, Neutrality and Survival Lies and Collapse of the Sense of Security in the chapter on Civilians in Guerrilla War.