One proviso to the fact that AQ/Jihadism plays off poverty and those who have nothing is the fact that they also align themselves with elements that play off people's greed and vice, namely drugs. This silent but powerful ally of terrorism is the counterpart to insurgency, that out of desperation, poverty and political despondency, many turn to drugs rather than acts of insurgency, i.e. violence. I don't think many proactively connect the two because drugs are not the sole domain of the impoverished, the disenfranchised and politically hopeless. There is alot of cash and control associated with drugs and we sometimes in our haste to address and assess the ideology and ramifications of religious fanatacism ignore the obvious, that said fanatacism is not the sole culprit we are dealing with. I find it odd that in the absence of Public information about drugs in Iraq, the perception then exists that somehow drugs are not a relevant factor. This then would leave the purview of the drug market solely connected to the Taliban, a problem unique to the other front we are engaged in and not Iraq. I rather doubt this is the reality of the situation. Anway, that's my .02 worth on the subject.