Quote Originally Posted by goesh View Post
"The question -- and it's a timely one -- is whether Islamic states are conducive to democracy. Is it Arab tribalism that is the problem, or is something about Islam which is creating trouble?" (AdmiralAdama)

I've thought about this for several years too and though I'm inclined to think Democracy and Islam are very much at odds, too many examples to the contrary exist that show degrees and forms of representative rule and Law that are significantly devoid of a heavy, Islamic influence. Gambia, West Africa comes to mind, a country that is roughly 90% Muslim. It is a Republic with elections and Consitutional Law that does carry with it components of Islamic jurisprudence but in no way could Gambia be called an Islamic nation. Though tiny and poor and insignificant, it is essentially Democratic.
I still contend that all depends on what you mean by "democracy." If you mean Western, liberal, secular, multiparty democracy, then perhaps not. If you mean a system that works on consensus and some form of participation, perhaps.

I do agree with Ralph, though, that Islam as a culture seems unlikely to produce states that are economically, technologically, or culturally competitive on a global scale, and politically stable without repression. The predominantly Islamic states which have been the most successful (Turkey, Malaysia) do by not becoming "Islamic" states. So I think Ralph and I would both say, "You can be an Islamic state or you can be a successful, stable, competitive state. You choose. But don't blame me for the results of your choice."

(Ralph and I often agree but I tend to do a lot less flame throwing. I was once described at a conference as a "kinder, gentler Ralph Peters." I took that as a compliment.)