One thing to keep in mind: given the global nature of information, it's quite possible that the Thai group advanced their operational tactics by research and an exchange of information without necessarily signing on to the main AQ goals and objectives. This sort of "brotherly training" was fairly common with terrorist groups in the 1970s and 1980s, and the internet only makes it easier. It's much easier now for information to be shared without any sort of reciprocity agreement (as in "we train your guys to make bombs in exchange for an attack or two in the future or safe houses for our guys in your territory"). Look at the way the various anti-globalization groups share information and tactics without necessarily agreeing on a uniform strategy. I'd expect that the new generation of trans-national insurgents/terrorists would adapt the same information sharing networks.

Perhaps they've been watching the outside situation and borrowed the tactics that they feel have worked there. I'm not saying you're wrong, Bill, just tossing out another set of eyes to look at the situation. Sometimes I think we get too focused on insurgents proper and forget that terrorist groups have their own modes and methods of operation. With the convergence of the two in many trans-national groups I think this only compounds the classification issue.