Thread: Military Support to SSTRO JOC

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Thornton View Post
    It sounds allot like the realization that Inter-Agency SSTR capabilities of the needed quantity and quality are too far off to count on, so we are recommending what we are in fact doing on the ground at the tactical level - generating the bulk of those capabilities out of hide. The realization has some interseting force structure implications. Since we are acknowledging that there is a capabilities gap, the question is how effectively or efficiently will we address it?
    I think this is the right question to be asking. Of course, I don't have an answer for the short term tactical problem. However, I think with some leadership on the civilian side, a medium term solution could be found and certainly a long term solution needs to be developed for future crisis.

Many civilians I've spoken to about deploying to support military ops are against the idea of going to Iraq, but would be open to supporting other operations. No scientific methods or anything here, but I found the conversations interesting. Basically, many don't want to put their lives on the line for a screwed up mission they feel the military/administration left them out of and ultimately screwed up(I'm not making any statements on the validity of their position, but that's the position I've heard). Not sure that we can overcome such feelings for Iraq.

Brian
    Last edited by Steve Blair; 06-18-2007 at 06:49 PM. Reason: fixed quote