Quote Originally Posted by SteveMetz View Post
I absolutely cannot imagine the South Africans allowing it. They remain almost pathologically leery of being seen as an American proxy. For a long time, they refused assistance from the African Crisis Response Initiative.

I would think Ghana would be the most likely choice--they're reasonably close to the U.S., a functioning democracy, and sort of centrally located. Uganda also might be a possibility. You're right about Botswana but it's harder to get in and out of Gabarone than Accra or even Kampala. I would also think that Senegal might make the short list. I'd like to see that simply because it would make heads explode in France.

I think that your perceptions of the current South African administration are probably right. However, I think the next one, particulalry as some of the ANC 'old and bolds' from the old days retire and drop off the twig, might be a different scenario. I think that guys like Ramaphosa, who had quite a different (and later generation) experience of the struggle will not necessarily subscribe to some of the old prejudices to the USA.

I agree with you about Ghana.