I don't think the loose ones do, because they are centered more around small cells of "fellow travelers." And even if they can be infiltrated, you only take down one small part of a very large, loose whole. By that I mean you can't infiltrate or track up to the next link in the chain because there often isn't one, at least in the conventional sense. In the old model you could take out one cell and then trace its comms back to another cell or a higher link. With the "vision-directed" networks you often don't have a higher link...just a pointer to a web site or blind mailing list that serves to send out general thoughts and comments.

I think this might be what we're seeing with the various terror cells in the US and UK (especially the UK). They are small, self-contained units that are "fellow travelers" with AQ in the sense that they have attached themselves to the same goals but are not necessarily part of a larger plan or game plan. We're conditioned to taking down one cell, and then following the trail of crumbs to another cell. With this model...there are no crumbs to follow.

This is where I see the internet having the biggest impact. It allows the rapid distribution of audio and visual messages...motivation tapes for the masses, if you will. Fellow travelers can access huge amounts of target information, operational data, and even training materials without ever having to link back to the main group or receive a single order from them.