Culpepper I agree that the SF Group did an outstanding and heroic job up using guts and technology to oust the Taliban. There were several factors that played into that victory, to include a plug and play resistance force just standing by waiting for a little help, etc., and an incompetent enemy. Now we're doing the hard work, no glory, just hard work and the outcome remains uncertain.

The fact is that the Soviets and the Brits both rapidly conquered Afghanistan also, but gradually the tide turned against them. They did it with conventional armies, not small specialized teams and air power, largely because that capability didn't exist at that time. The outcome of the initial invasion was never in question (the amount of risk was in question, but not the final outcome never), but the hardest part from a strategic perspective started after the fall of the Taliban. The Soviets spent 10 or so years in Afghanistan, so we can compare outcomes after we get to our 10 year mark. I'm almost certain our results will be much better than the Soviets, but the final outcome is still very much in question. I have to agree with Lastdingo, conquer Afghanistan and stay to do what?