Seem the discussion has gotten onto the SOF side of things, but I'd like to talk about Arctic security for a moment. Currently our Navy has plans to produce "Arctic Patrol Vessels" for sovereignty missions up north. These vessels would be ice hardened and capable of winter missions, based out of ports like Nannook and Nanisivik they would be fairly lightly armed but capable of conducting fisheries patrols and "NorPloy's" currently performed by the CG. As it stands now, a Frigate usually goes up there each summer to show the flag, but it’s seen by the Navy as more of a training opportunity in ice navigation rather than real "presence patrolling" to borrow a term from the army.

Its not clear if the reg force will be the primary sailors (hardship posting anyone?) or if the reserves will be employed for crew on these ships yet, but given the Navy's problems with manning and operational tempo I don't see how this new commitment can be properly met. I know the bosses I've had haven't been able to give me a satisfactory answer regarding this, which doesn't speak well for the plan.