Quote Originally Posted by jcustis
Mirroring one's enemy happened in a way during the Rhodesian conflict. A read of the texts describing pseudo-operations, conducted by the Selous Scouts, describes the path the Rhodesian Security Forces took to "turn" terrorists for the purpose of gaining tactical intelligence about the enemy. In several cases, "turned" terrorists were integrated into the Scouts' formations and employed in the field to allow them to get within hands-reach of the small terrorist gangs.

"Mirroring", if not employed in accordance with the precepts of the Law of War, poses significant risks. Could the Iraqi Security Forces become the death squads of the M.E.? Would their actions put a stink on the coalition forces that trained and outfitted them?

Just my $.02
When you hear the words "Death squads" it is a safe bet that "mirroring' is not the strategy being deployed. Death squads are an attempt to reorient your enemy into your way of thinking.

While mirroring is called a destructive strategy (ultimately what you want to do is become kinetic with your enemy) trust is the most important factor. Once you know your enemy, you have to trust your enemy to act exactly how you think they will. Because the enemy is fighting you, you also have to give your enemy complete trust. If the enemy knows you as a death squad dealing S.O.B. then you have to act like one. If the enemy knows you as a fair and moral person, you have to maintain that also.

To break out of a mirroring strategy, trust has to be broken. I think part of Sherman's march through the South was an attempt (I think successful) to break an army who was mirroring his. Leaving a scorched earth was not an American implicit rule that we would normally follow. It was effective, but we did, and, it might be said, we still are paying a price for it.