You know, some if the lingo like "Irhabi" is making its way into the ISF lexicon - when I first got there ISF (who spoke some English) when talking to Americans either said Ali Baba (picked up from U.S. troops during 03/04 or simply the terrorists. On the back side I heard IA patrols calling into their BN TOC reports of Irhabi, and in discourse between IA and IP at their Joint targeting meetings.

When Al Jazeera and Islamic state officials such as Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Jordan, etc, clerics, sheiks and mullahs, can with confidence and without fear of losing power, use this type of lexicon to describe AQ and like activities - it will have the desired effect. Until then, it may only meet with marginal success.

As such I think our Strategic Communications and public diplomacy to our Arab & Muslim partners, friends and allies must encourage them to see and understand how we view these activities and to issue public condemnations in the strongest language that challenges the religious beliefs the Irhabi cloaks themselves in.

On the tactical level, I think using the appropriate terms does resonate. When I say tactical I mean the interactions with local officials, HN Security forces, and everyday people on the street during patrols. Hearing it, even from an American as a vocal expression, or on a hand bill - particularly if they are already thinking it anyway, raises the issue and may lead that person to question where they had placed terrorist activities in the context of their faith and life. It also creates an opportunity for dialogue. Your next tip, or the tip to an ISF may come from somebody vocally raising that doubt about what is good and what is bad. I've had some interesting conversations with both English speaking Arabs and through an interpreter while patrolling about our role in Iraq, the future of Iraq and what is right and wrong.

I'd also add that our understanding of these words is fundamental to interaction and understanding our common enemy.