Thread: Current Inadequacy of Small Arms Training for All MOSs in the Conventional Army

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

MAJ Ellison has a keen grasp of the obvious. Marksmanship has been broken in the Army for some time, every unit seems to have a couple of active shooters who read 23-9 and know what the SAIB is and generally take charge of the marksmanship program in the unit. If you think it's hard to schedule range time in the states, it's very difficult here in Iraq, between missions, maintanace and occasional days off.

During our MOB site we recieved some decent small arms training, we fired the CQB and of course qaulified with all our weapons. However, there were glaring gaps in our training that became evidant during our first week in Iraq. My unit didn't zero or shoot with our M68's (Aimpoint) until we got to our FOB in Iraq. That should have happened at the Mob site. Only two NCO's in our company understood how to use the laser boresight, which saves you hours upon hours zeroing on the range.

My unit is equipped with every device known to the army, PAQ 4 lasers, MAR's sights, M 68's, ACOG's. The problem is no one knows how to use them.

Default I know, Slapout- but if I didn't pick on you, who would

Arty 8:

Most Infantry units I was in would have been glad to lend you hand if you asked, y'all try that? May have to jiggle the schedules a bit...

That does not excuse what you're saying, though -- and you're right. And somebody at your Mob station let you down, big time..

Ken, there are a few out there that would. But I thought the point you made was worth talking about. One handed shooting needs to be practiced more than it is. Also besides me, you are probably the only person here who knows who "Jelly Roll" is. I was going to add him to the list but I figured nobody would have a clue. Ah Yes rifle, handgun, knife and if that doesn't work go for those family jewels

Wink Heh. Too true. Lacking jewel access, the eyes...

------------------

Simulations (An underutilized training tool). Have you been in an EST (Engagement Skills Trainer)? Great simulator. I got two hours one on one tutoring and mentoring from a good marksmanship instructor using the EST for 9mm marksmanship. I never knew why I had been missing before. The EST allows analysis of your shooting mechanics and allows the shooter the ability to fine tune his marksmanship skills.

(By the way there are much cooler simulators out there; my favorite that I have been allowed to "play" with is the CCTT, Close Combat Tactical Trainer).

JP