Thread: What Are You Currently Reading? 2007

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    Just so there is no confusion that quote is from St. Christopher!! he is the one with bibliography that I would like to see posted. I screwed the quote thingy button up. St. Chris has got the stuff not me.
    These selections are from my counter-motivation "vetted readings" file. I make everyone I do business with read these before we start executing. Most of these articles are Google-able and downloadable; some of the books you may have to purchase.

"Choosing Words Carefully: Language to Help Fight Islamic Terrorism," Dr. Douglas E. Streusand and LTC Harry D. Tunnell IV.

"Storytelling and Terrorism: Towards a Comprehensive 'Counter-Narrative Strategy," William D. Casebeer and James A. Russell

"Anti-Americanism and the Rise of Civic Diplomacy," Nancy Snow

"Strategic Communication: A Mandate for the United States," Jeffrey Jones

Exploring Religious Conflict, Gregory Treverton, et al. RAND

Terror’s Mask: Insurgency Within Islam, Michael Vlahos, JHU-APL

"THE ELONGATING TAIL OF BRAND COMMUNICATION," Mohammed Iqbal

Next-Generation Media: The Global Shift; Aspen Institute; Richard P. Adler, Rapporteur

Terror in the Mind of God, Mark Jurgensmeyer

"The Promise of Noopolitik," David Ronfeldt and John Arquilla

I also regularly exhort the works of Dave Kilcullen, T.X. Hammes, Jim Guirard, and other luminaries of the COIN world.

I wrote a couple papers this year for Johns Hopkins on counter-narrative strategy, which I find tremendously fascinating in Vlahos's, NPS's, and Jurgensmeyer's works. Vlahos in particular has done great work in equating our current Long War to the poetic tradition of Islam. I just discovered the noopolitik piece above, and I find that paper absolutely compelling in its portrayal of the Information Age (in which one must nest any narrative strategy, counter or otherwise).

I find that some of the most interesting thought in Info Age warfare comes at the rapid pace of that generation-- a "burst culture" that spits out more blog entries and articles than truly analytical or procedural books. Hey, good idea for another thread-- what's in everybody's RSS reader and which ones do you use?

Du4
    Last edited by marct; 09-07-2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Added URLs
    Tenere terrorum,
    St. C

"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
    ---Socrates