I came across this description of a River Crossing by Union Forces under Grant during the Vicksburg Campaign. At his point Union Forces had recently defeated a Confederate force on Champion's Hill, and had pursued them to the Big Black River and was trying to get across toward Vicksburg. The Confederates had abandoned their defensive works on the banks of the Big Black River, but not before destroying the bridges. Grant's Army is left to get across the river as quickly as possible in order to maintain pressure on the Confederates and prevent them from consolidating forces and strengthening their works at Vicksburg.

From Grant's Memoirs - The Investment of Vicksburg - pg. 208
"As the bridge was destroyed and the river was high, new bridges had to be built. It was but little after nine O'clock A.M. (ed. - on the 17th) when the capture took place. As soon as work could be commenced, orders were given for the construction of three bridges. One was taken charge of by Lieutenant Haines, of the Engineer Corps, one by General McPherson himself and one by General Ransom, a most gallant an intelligent volunteer officer. My recollection is that Haines built a raft bridge; McPherson a pontoon, using cotton bales in large numbers, for pontoons; and that Ransom felled trees on opposite banks of the river, cutting only one side of the tree, so that they would fall interlacing (ed. - an abatis) in the river, without the trees being entirely severed from their stumps. A bridge was then made with these trees to support the roadway. ...... By eight O'clock in the morning of the 18th all three bridges were complete and the troops were crossing"
I am constantly finding these types of examples in History where armies when well led, will find a way to make it happen. Leadership fosters Innovation and Adaptiveness - without it its likely that Grant's Army would have just halted. Today its just as relevant as then, without leaders who provide the environment for risk, adaptation and innovation will find small purchase.

Best Regards, Rob