Thread: Resettlement Villages as a possible solution for the Iraqi IDP and Refugee Crisis.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

- they can use Indian reservations for a model - I highly recommend a tour of Pine Ridge and Rosebud for starters.

Perhaps Indian reservations are not the best example?

Meanwhile, on Pine Ridge, three and four families live in single-family houses, eight to nine out of 10 people are out of work, and more than half the population, helpless against disconnect notices, has no phone in any given month.

Life expectancy on the reservation is 47 to 56 years, the nation's lowest. Infant mortality is twice the rate of the rest of the country. Diabetes afflicts about half the population, and people here talk about their blood sugar levels the way other Americans mention their cholesterol counts.

Alcoholism is rampant -- some figures place it at 80 percent of the population -- yet on a reservation about the size of Connecticut, there is no alcohol treatment center. The roadside crosses are too often the result of alcohol-fueled car accidents, which are nearly three times as common here as in the general population ...
    Shannon County, SD quickfacts.

Hello Troufion !

Some great details and ideas, Thanks.
    I hate to be the devil's advocate, but I've seen too many UN projects mixing just two tribes (a tad under 1 million folks) together only to meet with an expensive disaster.

Tom and I, based on 'intelligent information', began to wonder if the displaced were actually going anywhere. Someone came up with the idea to move the quarters, food and water several hundred clicks 'this way' and surely the displaced would move 'there'.

It didn't work. If it did, we never found those folks.

I think Rob and Rex have hit on some significant issues that would need serious attention.

At 5 grand a pop, I think the American public will be a tad PO'd at the thought.