Quote Originally Posted by Gian P Gentile View Post
Has counterinsurgency become our primary operational doctrine? In the American Army has FM3-24, "Counterinsurgency" replaced FM3-0 "Operations" in importance and influence? If so we are in deep trouble.
I don't think the new document is indicative of a fundamental shift but a realization that COIN exists. This isn't going to be a document for the military, but a primer for State. Personally I think there has been a rush to the doors like somebody yelling "FIRE!" only this panic laden scream is "COIN!". Iraq is one field of conflict, multiple types of endeavor, and not something that fits nicely into any doctrinal manual.

With the Bear flying close contact missions over Europe again how long until the shout is "FULDA GAP!" and we find ourselves without the flexibility to fight or even show up with a conventional military presence. But, we'll able to wind the hearts and minds of indigenous populations. I realize we still have huge presence of unimpeded reserves sitting in close proximity to many places of cold war conflict. The issue is where did those leaders come from, where are they going, who is training them, and what are the expectations of a career?

COIN is the answer to many problems and describes a box of issues and theories within the Small War doctrine. I think it is one of the most recently ignored strategies and likely doctrinally still immature in the minds of most who don't take the time to investigate it. The intellectual shrift for COIN seems to be part of the culture of state and NGO's. We have 50+ years of doctrine and advancement of maneuver warfare for the likes of Armor and mounted infantry. COIN has been the monster under the bed giving commanders and policy makers fits since Vietnam.