Communist Russia was famous for its metrics that didn't work. I am afraid that if we give more attention to metrics in Iraq we will see the same effect. For example if tomorrow some bomb killed 50 Americans I wouldn't be surprised if the remainder of the month the number of operations was restricted in order to keep the monthly casualty figures down. Now already the number of casualties seems to be surprisingly stable month by month.

Personally I prefer to hear a good consistent story of what the US wants in Iraq. The US supports a "democratic" government that seems at least partially to be a marionet of warlord Al Sadr. The tribal policy in the Sunni areas hasn't much support in Baghdad and isn't generalised into a general Sunni policy. So to me the story at the moment seems full of contradictions. The only improvement compared to a year ago is the tribal policy. But on the other side of the balance is a chaotic Iran policy that seems more driven by a desire to beat up yet another country than by a consistent vision.

For me each contradiction in the story has the risk to become a new battleground.