Now I know LTC Nagl got out quite a bit, as do many other LTCs and SGMs...but do they all? I'm not pointing fingers, nor casting aspersions on anyone's bravery, but speculating on what are organizational realities.

One of the things that was noticeable during Vietnam by 1968-69 was the tendency of multiple-tour senior NCOs to find jobs in the rear...because they'd "been there and done that" enough times that they were wearing thin. Not all of them did, but there were enough that it got noticed. Perhaps our young trooper had the misfortune to serve in a unit that had some burned-out senior leaders. It does happen. And it also provides us with an example of what burned-out leadership can do to morale within an organization. It could also provide us with an example of how a poorly-motivated soldier can paint an organization. I don't assume that he's right in his comment, but at the same time history suggests that he may not be totally wrong.

Now before anyone saddles up their rant horse and sounds the charge, consider this: our force profile is VERY different from what it was in the 1960s. The troops are more motivated, better educated, and all that. But considering their generational profile they may prove less tolerant of those they feel might be doing less than they should...especially in leadership positions. The key word there is "feel." It's all a matter of perception, and we know how perception can shape "reality" in many ways.

My $.02 for the day.