Thread: U.S. PSYOPS Doctrine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Steve, run the execise with an Army or USMC ROTC unit and compare the two.

Slap,

I'd love to, but I recently had to turn down a job with a Navy/USMC ROTC Det (can't afford to move...the joys of working for the state....), and our local Army battalion isn't too keen on 'joint' stuff. I'm developing a joint operations course and exercise that has the support of our det commander, and the Army cadets who've tested it love the idea...but cadre support within their program is problematic. I'm still working it, though.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Here is a quick piece of advice. Don't visit the Swedish Meatballs Confidential blog at work unless you have an office with a door.

Don't know what I expected from a site with a name like that but had a moment of panic as this open cube environemt is not all that priviate. Way to many gov't employees running around with nothing better to do than scratch a "naughty site" visiting contractor off the list.

I guess I'll just have to look at my own copy of the manual.
    Last edited by Mondor; 09-24-2007 at 12:37 PM.
    It is right to learn, even from one's enemies
    Ovid

Council Member

Default Where did they get these idiots?

Hey Steve--

Somebody needs to remind the army det that we really are all joint now. For starters, the army has NO strat lift or strat sea transport. All movement to and from theater is courtesy of USTRANSCOM. Then, we (army folk) rely on the AF for close air support. Our SF ODAs integrate an AF ground controller. Etc. etc.... So where do we get these idiots for ROTC duty?

Cheers

JohnT

Default ROTC Instructors

Well, John, I think there is a certain profile to them (although there are always exceptions to the rule...much to the benefit of all concerned). Many are on their last assignment before retiring and aren't necessarily interested in changing things. In other cases they focus more on their internal battalion/detachment goals (recruiting, Ranger Challenge, summer training, what have you) and don't look as much at the education of their cadets beyond the basics. In fact, the Air Force stuff tends to be touted as an "easy A" without much critical thinking involved.

That said, there are exceptions. The commander my det has now is very interested in getting his cadets to develop their thinking skills, which is one reason we're expanding the basic outline of the original exercise and developing one that would also involve the Army. We'll see what happens...
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War