Hi webfoot,

Quote Originally Posted by Webfoot View Post
If you think you are appalled and shocked, you should have seen my reaction on the mountainside outside of Aranas or south at Kandahar.
Well, I just managed to pick my jaw up off the ground and, now that I think on it, you're right - I wouldn't want to have seen your reaction then since I suspect you were armed .

The early recce misions in Iraq (2003) were horrible in regards to safe-guarding media and documents. There were several instances when large caches of documents and/or computer hard-drives were located at "abandoned" facilites of interest (Al-Kindi facilites come to mind). .... Always amazed me that the vandalism was so selective and neatly done, with the exact items we were looking for usually laid in a tidy strip in the floor and carefully burned with an accelerant while nothing else in the cache area was even smoke damaged.
Amazing, that . I really do hope that it has gotten better .

My deductions of a comprehensive destruction plan conducted by "loyalist stay behinds" was noted but never recorded by ISG intelligence personnel (meaning Colonel/GS-15 and higher, the lower level intel weenies were up in arms about it). Lost a lot of info that way.
If I was being cynical I suppose I would say that of course everyone knew that the Iraqis truly wanted a democracy and none of them would ever support, in their hearts, that horrid, evil dictator, therefore your conclusions must be wrong (I can't believe I typed that with a straight face! ). Still and all, it does raise an interesting issue of ideological stances influencing mission effectiveness.

I noted in the bio in the article that your last posting was in Afghanistan and, along the lines of ideologies influencing mission effectiveness, I was wondering if you noted any significant differences between the various NATO troops and their DOCEX practices?

Marc