Thread: Officer Retention

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Thornton View Post
    Norfolk - good post - and it should be read and considered in its entirety - it is something to we should chew on for awhile.
    Best regards, Rob
    Concur.

I had a History professor in undergrad who taught a class on Vietnam. He and I clicked pretty easily. He wouldn't put up with any of the bleeding B.S. that some of my peers wanted to spout off about, as if they had a right to relive their parents' days.

It wasn't until the end of the course that I discovered he had served in Vietnam as an Army Ranger. He doesn't know it, but that class shaped a lot of my thoughts and impressions with regard to military service, and I see the merit in soldiering for the sake of soldiering. I had to overcome a lot of crap along the way, like the girlfriend who flat out asked me why I wanted to join the "white man's Army." (I was going Marine...duh!)

Adam and Norfolk hit the nail smack on the head regarding the best and brightest. That is so much a relative term and I see the paradox way too often.

Although the Rhodesians had more than their share of recruiting and retention issues, I've always dug this poster:

Last edited by jcustis; 10-04-2007 at 01:54 AM.