Thread: Who are the great generals?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default I belatedly apologize for my ignorance...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    I believe your four conclusions are, regrettably, totally correct.

And I didn't say your post was great because you hit most all my picks in about the same order I'd have used had i not gone chronological. You did miss my boy, Galusha Pennypacker, MH, BG, USV...
    Sorry about Galusha Pennypacker, but the closest figure I could come up with to that was Ivan III Moneybags (for all I know, thay may be the same person), and I agree that Ivan Moneybags was a great general, certainly strategist, maybe even greater than his son. Likewise, I hadn't realized Subutai's import in history (I had ascribed much of that to Genmghis himself) until I saw you mention him, so I did some quick research. I will be sure to educate myself on the subject of Galusha Pennypacker's generalship!

Ken - P.S. - Ah! Galusha Pennypacker - Second Battle of Fort Fisher - youngest general in US Army (age 20).

skiguy: Yeah, I hope they give Petraeus a real chance after Iraq; he may be the closest thing to an Abrams or at least a DePuy that we're likely going to get for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by Norfolk; 10-06-2007 at 08:32 PM.